Children in the program are expected to get involved in the community while they are on scholarship. Opportunities will be made available by the Day Dreams Foundation, or the child can choose their own service project. This can be either through a non-profit organization, or something as simple as raking leaves for a neighbor. Below are some ideas for community service.
Activities That Anyone Can Do:
- Write a thank you card for a community hero (first responder, teacher, etc.)
- Help a neighbor with yard work
- Pick up trash at a nearby park or school. Here are some tips on how to stay safe during this activity.
- The Food Bank likes to include something to bring a smile to veterans and seniors with their packages. Mail a letter or artwork to the Food Bank for inclusion with their VIP or CSFP boxes!
- Walk a neighbor’s dog
- Create a piece of art and send it to a resident at a nursing home
- Read a book to a younger sibling or friend, or even to pets at CMHS!
- Send a note to a member of the Armed Forces
- Make tug toys out of old t-shirts to donate to a pet rescue center such as Second Chance or Unchained Melodies. There are lots of how-to videos like this one on YouTube!
- Check back for special volunteer events organized just for Day Dreams Kids and Families!
- Kids Helping Kids Days at The Food Bank
- Clean Up Columbia annual community event
Leave a reply